AAA Reminding Drivers October is Car Care Month
The nation's largest motor club is reminding drivers that October is AAA Car Care Month and it's just the right time to make sure your car is in tip-top shape for the colder months to come.
Between January and August of this year, AAA received more than 18 million roadside assistance calls and 192,000 of those were from Oklahoma. This month, the organization is reminding motorists that cars need periodic checkups to maintain safe driving conditions and maximize efficiency.
"Whether you're expecting cooler temperatures, snow, rain or simple a little less sunshine, regular maintenance and seasonal checkups can help prevent unexpected repair costs in the future," AAA spokesperson Chuck Mai said.
AAA recommends motorists use a simple checklist to determine their vehicle's maintenance needs. Here are just a few of them:
- Battery and Charging System - Have the battery and charging system tested and fully charged
- Battery Cables and Terminals - Make sure the battery terminals and cable ends are free from corrosion and the connections are tight
- Engine Hoses - Inspect cooling system hoses for leaks, cracks or loose clamps
- Brakes - Have the system inspected by a certified technician to ensure all components are in working order
- Emergency Road Kit - Carry one equipped for the winter weather complete with a first-aid kit, drinking water, ice scraper and blankets among other items
The organization would also like to remind motorists that users can download their iPhone and Android apps for mapping, gas price comparison and member exclusive benefits.
For more information, visit AAA's website at www.aaa.com.