MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

All Oklahoma Public Schools To Be Tobacco Free

Governor Mary Fallin has signed legislation that will ban tobacco products in all public schools in the state.Fallin signed the bill Wednesday afternoon.State law already requires public schools be tobacco-free during the day, but the bill extends the policy to include non-school hours, school vehicles, and school-sponsored activities.

"This is a common-sense measure that will reduce tobacco's influence on our children," Fallin said. "It is encouraging that 83 percent of Oklahoma's students already attend schools where tobacco is banned 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This bill will protect the remaining 17 percent by ensuring they are no longer exposed to cigarettes and other tobacco products when they are at school," Fallin says.The state's public health commissioner and Gov. Fallin's secretary of health and human services attended the signing at the Capitol."Tobacco use is still the number one preventable cause of death and disease in the United States," said Dr. Terry Cline, Commissioner of Health and Cabinet Secretary of Health and Human Services. "A tobacco-free environment is fundamental in any school effort designed to prevent or reduce tobacco use in young people," Cline said. "I am confident that this bill and our continued efforts to stop tobacco use will save thousands of lives that would have otherwise been shortened by the effects of tobacco," Cline said.

Trending