King Arthur "Great Cake Contest"
Armina Scott from Sand Springs, OK, 1st place, Tulsa State Fair
Batter Ingredients & Instructions:
2 cups King Arthur Flour
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 stick sweet cream butter softened
2 1/3 cups light brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup sour cream
1 cup hot water
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove and stir until smooth Beat softened butter and brown sugar at medium speed until well blended and then add eggs until well blended.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon Gradually add to chocolate mixture with sour cream. Beat at low speed until blended. Gradually pour in hot water beating on low speed until blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter evenly into 3 parchment-lined 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove cakes and let cool completely.
- Spread with 2 T. of strawberry jam and 1/2 cup of chopped pecans between each layer. Wrap each cake layer individually with foil and place in freezer.
Filling Ingredients & Instructions:
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 T. strawberry jam
1 cup pecans, chopped
- Beat butter and powdered sugar until creamy and add heavy cream slowly beating at low speed until blended. Stir in vanilla and set aside.
- When cake is removed from freezer spread filling equally between layers.
Frosting Ingredients and Instructions:
1 - 11.5 oz package milk chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
3 T. sweet cream butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave for 1 1/2 minutes or until melted.
- On low speed slowly add heavy cream and softened butter until smooth. Stir in vanilla and beat on medium speed until blended.
- Let stand 15 minutes in refrigerator.
- Remove from refrigerator and frost evenly top and sides of cake.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries and pecans.
Makes 16 servings.