East Tulsa Fire Reminds Homeowners to Heat Homes Safely

A Tulsa family is displaced this morning, after a fire. It broke out last night near 141st East Avenue and 24th, around 11 p.m. This fire is a reminder to be safe for all of us as we heat our homes.

Fire departments have joined a national campaign called, "Put The Freeze on Fires."

This time of year, our firefighters get calls constantly--over fires and people trying to heat their homes.

Home heating is to blame for the fire in east Tulsa. Home heating fires accounted for nearly 60-thousand fires last year plus more than a billion dollars in damages.

The three adult residents were able to get out safely, but nearly 500 people died in fires related to heating last year and 1500 were injured.

Space heaters cause about 30-percent of home fires. But in this case it was the fireplace, which burned through the wall and to the attic.