Howerton Family Sugar Cookies (Oklahoma Lady Artists)
- Preheat oven to 350-375 degrees.
- Cream 1 cup soft brown sugar, 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup shortening in large mixing bowl.
- Add 2 eggs and mix.
- In small bowl, mix 1 teaspoon baking soda with 3 tablespoons milk. Add 1 teaspoon vinegar (it will froth). Makes "sour" milk.
- To large mixing bowl, add 4 cups sifted flour and alternate adding the sour milk (this is done with a large metal spoon, not your mixer).
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Rollout on lightly floured board to about 1/8 inch thick, cut with cookie cutter, place on greased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with sugar, colored sprinkles, chocolate sprinkles or cinnamon sugar.
- Bake 6-9 minutes and enjoy!