3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin (2.5 teaspoons)
3 tbsp corn syrup
4 cups birdseed
1" thick heart cookie cutter, most other shapes will also work
chopstick or bamboo skewer for making a hole in the ornament
cookie sheet or cutting board
jute, ribbon or raffia
- Mix together flour, water, gelatin and corn syrup. This will form a dough. Add the birdseed one cup at a time; it helps to knead the birdseed into the dough with greased fingers.
- Spray the inside of the cookie cutter with nonstick spray.
- Place cookie cutter on a parchment-lined cookie sheet or cutting board. Spoon mixture inside of cookie cutter, pressing mixture firmly with greased fingers. (The more you press it down, the less shedding of seeds you will have.)
- Using a chopstick or bamboo skewer, make a hole near the top of the heart. Remove your chopstick/skewer.
- Carefully pull cookie cutter away from birdseed heart. Repeat until all the mixture is used up. (You should spray the cookie cutter after every six hearts, that way it won't stick.)
- Let dry 6-8 hours. String jute or ribbon. You can also get creative and make a gift, monogram or Thank You tag to also string on. Hang these from branches at your wedding or event, or place inside bags or boxes to give as a gift.
Note: If you are making these for an event or to give as a gift, don't make them more than a few days ahead of time or they may mold. Store in a dry area.
Project designed by Renee Justus bustedtrumpet.etsy.com
Special thanks to MADE: The Indie Emporium Shop