by Armina Scott - 1st Place 2012 Tulsa State Fair, Fleischmann's Yeast "Sensational Sandwich Bread" Contest
Fleishmann's Yeast Sandwich Recipes www.breadworld.com
1 package Fleischmann's Yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup buttermilk (lukewarm)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup real butter (softened)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
5 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg (beaten)
1 package bacon and cheddar smoked sausage (slightly split)
6 slices smoked bacon (cooked and drained)
3 sticks cheddar cheese (each cut in half long-ways)
- Dissolve Fleischmann's yeast in warm water and let set 3 to 4 minutes. Heat buttermilk to lukewarm. Add salt, softened butter and sugar to the buttermilk. Add yeast mixture to buttermilk, stir all together and pour this mixture into the 1 cup flour, baking soda and egg. Beat well with hand mixer.
- Stir and fold in remaining 4 cups flour until a soft dough forms. Place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm draft free area until doubled in bulk, approximately 1 hour. Punch down and knead lightly about 2 minutes.
- Roll out a thin dough and cut into 6 4x7-inch pieces and place slightly split sausage on dough and fill with a 1/2 stick of cheddar cheese and 1 slice of bacon.
- Bring up dough on both ends of sausage and fold over dough on top and pinch to seal. Place parchment paper on baking sheet pan and put sausage roll pinched side down. Spray sausage rolls with cooking spray. Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place sausage rolls in hot oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter. Serve with mustard.
Yields: 6 servings