Kaylene's Chewy Gingerbread Cookies (American Red Cross)
1 1/2 C + 2 Tbsp Flour
1 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
8 Tbsp Butter (room temp)
1 Tbsp Fresh Grated Ginger
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1/4 C Molasses
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Boiling Water
1/4 C Granulated Sugar (to roll them in)
- Sift together: flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, Nutmeg.
- Beat together with. electric mixer in a separate bowl from flour: butter, grated ginger (4 mins) then add brown sugar and molasses - beat until combined.
- In a small bowl dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
- Beat 1/2 of flour mixture into butter mixture, then add baking soda mixture - mix until combined.
- Turn out onto plastic warp - pat to 1 inch thick - then cover - sealing all edges with wrap.
- Refrigerate until firm - about 2 hours.
- Roll dough into 1/2 inch balls.
- Roll in granulated sugar.
- Place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart
- Bake at 325 degrees for 13-14 minutes.