After making this recipe I guarantee you'll never buy frozen fish sticks again. You might even get members of your family to eat fish because these fish sticks are so delicious. It's an easy dish to pair with baked French fries and Cole slaw.
1 1/2 pounds fresh fish fillet, skin removed (halibut, cod, haddock, tilapia, salmon, or catfish)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
4 egg whites, beaten frothy (about 30 seconds)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for extra flavor
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
Extra-virgin first cold-press olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Rinse the fillet and pat dry with paper towel. Cut the fish into strips, each about 3-inches long and 1/2-inch thick. Place the flour in a medium-size bowl and season with the salt and pepper. Place beaten egg whites in another bowl. Combine the cheese and bread crumbs in a third bowl.
- Coat the fish in the seasoned flour and pat to remove any excess flour. Dip the floured fish in the egg whites and then into the Parmesan mixture, gently pressing the mixture into the fish.
- Place the breaded fish pieces on a liberally oiled baking sheet or parchment-lined baking sheet sprayed with Pam. Drizzle lightly with the olive oil and then sprinkle with Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
White Dipping Sauce:
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 plain or Greek yogurt
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or chives
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Place fish sticks on a platter and serve with dipping sauces.
Note: You could just use 2/3 cup yogurt if you don't like mayonnaise.
Red Dipping Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
1 cup mild barbecue sauce, I like Head Country
2 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
Note: The fish sticks can also be dipped into marinara sauce, pesto, ranch dressing or even a vinaigrette dressing.
Note: You can use just 1 cup of Italian seasoned bread crumbs or 1 cup Panko seasoned with Italian seasoning instead of a combination of the two.