61
      Friday
      72 / 59
      Saturday
      76 / 60
      Sunday
      72 / 50

      New Push For Hazardous Household Waste Facility

      In Tulsa, it's a rare occasion, the opportunity for the free and safe disposal of household hazardous waste.

      "Twice a year; a weekend in April, and a weekend in November. It's just not enough we need to do it more often," said MET Director Michael Patton.

      As often, hope environmentalists, as residents can in OKC, or Ft. Smith, or Wichita. All cities with year-round collection facilities.

      "It's very important that we dispose of hazardous waste in the proper way and its better for Tulsa and its better for the planet," said environmentalist Lauren Lunsford.

      Initial costs for a permanent site are estimated at $4 million, after which the facility could cost less annually than the current twice a year system.

      "The cost for a facility would be $300,000, so it's about a $50,000 less for the city to pay for," said Lunsford.

      In addition to the potential economic benefit, they say, there's the safety factor.

      "Where do you think childhood poisonings come from? Open bottles of drain cleaner under the sink," said Patton.

      Add to that, worry that due to the current lack of convenience, many people may simply be tossing their toxics in with their regular trash, cause as it is now?

      "About 3% of households are participating, what's the other 97% doing?" asked Patton.

      "Yes, that is a concern because some of it can go into creeks, some of it can go into storm water, some of it can go into your regular garbage," said Lunsford.

      The case for a household hazardous waste facility, being made now at city hall.

      "If we're looking at adding safety to our community, and find permanent funding, this is a safety measure, so i'm hoping that's appropriate funding for this," said Patton.
      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER