Monday, February 10, 2014
"More than 300 comments were received from Channel 8 viewers, and I am pleased at the overwhelming show of support for teachers. Many took issue with State Superintendent Janet Barresi's assertion that we 'keep doing the same things over and over again, expecting a different result.' That statement was so highly disrespectful to our teachers and dismissive of the groundbreaking work we are doing in Teacher and Leader Effectiveness. Of the many reasons cited for failing schools, those mentioned most often by your viewers . . .
- 17 viewers cited Barresi for being an unsupportive state superintendent
- 16 blamed ineffective state leadership
- 19 mentioned inadequate education funding
- 13 mentioned "over-testing"
- 6 voiced concerns about the flawed A-F school grading system
- 40 viewers cited lack of parent engagement/support.
"Very few mentioned ineffective teachers, which is a tribute to the intense focus we have had on accountability, and ensuring we have great teachers in every classroom and great leaders in every building. The fact is, we are all accountable, and we will not rest until student achievement is where it needs to be."