Tulsa Police Officers Assist in Surprise Home Birth

Tulsa Police Officers Josh Goldstein and Brad Hill were called to assist EMSA with a belligerent man who had refused to help his wife after she unexpectedly delivered a baby at their home."We received a call to assist EMSA. We got those calls all the time," Goldstein said. "This one came out that there was a pregnancy involved. We just assumed we were going to a typical, 'go help EMSA and someone is going to be belligerent or upset.'"When Hill and Goldstein arrived, they didn't see any EMSA or firefighters at the scene. "Then the dispatcher comes on again and says, 'EMSA wants you to go in the house a render assistance,'" Goldstein said.The two officers made entrance and found a man walking towards them asking them to help his wife. Goldstein located the mother and baby in a pool of blood and fluids in the bathroom."She was sitting on the bathroom floor, cradling a very little baby," Goldstein said."It was gray and blue," Hill said. "It was a tiny, little baby."Hill and Goldstein attempted to aid the baby and the mother in the home with the help of dispatchers on the phone. Dispatchers asked if the umbilical cord had been tied off, according to Hill. Both the mother and Hill took a shoestring that was on the floor and tied off the umbilical cord. Goldstein continued to attempt to resuscitate the baby by gently tapping and rubbing on its chest. "It was an amazing moment. I mean, we weren't until that point entirely sure the baby was still alive," Hill said.According to Hill, the baby made a sound and its color began to improve rapidly. Dispatchers then told the two that the baby needed to be with its mother. Goldstein stated that the instructions given by medical dispatchers were for the woman's husband to help prior to the arrival of medical assistance. According to Hill, they were called to the scene because the husband was refusing to help and use the instructions given to him by medical dispatchers."We just did what we had to do. We were called there to help," Hill said. "We were all that she and the baby had, at the time."As soon as EMSA arrived, Hill said they turned everything over to them.At last check-in, the baby was listed in stable condition, according to Goldstein. When asked if they were taught how to deliver babies or deal with those situations, both Hill and Goldstein shook their heads. Goldstein stated that dealing with that situation was outside of their normal medical training."Stabbings, gunshot wounds, car wrecks, that kind of stuff...that stuff we deal with you know, weekly," Hill said. "Babies...thank God we don't."