Bixby School Board takes no action on sexual assault investigation at special meeting
BIXBY, Okla. (KTUL) -- After more than 7 hours in executive session the Bixby School Board took no action regarding the sexual assault investigation involving members of the football team.
In a statement, the board said it is close to making a determination on the specific action(s) it will take related to the incident. However, the board will not take action right now. There will be another special meeting during the week of December 18, and the board will announce what actions(s) will be taken based on the information they have collected and reviewed.
The statement goes on to say the decision(s) that will be made during that meeting will reflect the beginning of an ongoing disciplinary and internal evaluation process necessary for them to fully address the situation now and in the future. The board also promises to fully address the situation.
Four top school officials are being investigated by police for failure to report child sexual assault. An affidavit, released last week, names Superintendent Kyle Wood, High School Principal Terry Adams, Athletic Director Jay Bittle and Head Football Coach Loren Montgomery.
According to the affidavit, a 16-year-old football player told investigators he was sexually assaulted with a pool cue at the superintendent's house by several other members of the football team. Investigators have confiscated their cellphones and other electronic records as well as the cellphones of four students.
The victim also told investigators it wasn't the first time something like this has happened.
In the affidavit, an investigator for the district attorney's office says school officials delayed reporting the assault to police and questions whether some tried to avoid reporting it at all.
Here's the full statement from the Bixby School Board: