ORU baseball shuts out Western Illinois
TULSA, Okla. —
Justin McGregor struck out a career-high nine batters in eight scoreless innings as the Oral Roberts baseball team shutout Western Illinois, 3-0, Friday night at J.L. Johnson Stadium to remain unbeaten in The Summit League.
McGregor was on his game from the start retiring the Leathernecks in order in the first inning and at one point, set down 17 of 20 batters faced during his longest outing of the year. The Midwest City, Oklahoma, product surrendered just four hits for the contest to remain perfect at 4-0 this season as the Golden Eagles pushed their win streak to nine games.
The offense came through in the middle innings, where it has done damage all season long, taking a 1-0 lead on a RBI single from Nick Roark with the bases loaded in the fifth. A two-run sixth added insurance runs for ORU when Cal Hernandez lifted a sacrifice fly plating Noah Cummings and Sam Grellner capped the night bringing home Trevor McCutchin on a RBI single.
Quote of the Game
"I thought Justin was the difference; I thought he was really sharp. He commanded the zone, his mound presence was good, controlled the running game and just had a really good, solid outing for him to build on. He never let (Western Illinois) settle in to anything and kept the pressure on." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
ORU broke a scoreless tie in the bottom of the fifth giving McGregor all the run support he would need for the night. Michael Hungate led the inning with a single into left, moving his hitting streak to 14 games. Hernandez walked and a sac bunt from Grellner moved the runners to second and third. An intentional walk to Dylan Snypes loaded the bases for Roark to deliver a RBI single into right for the eventual winning run.
Inside the Box Score
- Friday marked the Golden Eagles' first shutout of the 2017 season and first since April 12, 2015 at Oklahoma State. ORU has limited opponents to one run on five separate occasions before finally breaking through against the Leathernecks and not allowing a run.
- McGregor lowered his earned run average to a team-leading 1.85 and is 4-0 in five starts on the year. He topped his previous best of six innings pitched and five strikeouts against North Dakota State going eight innings with nine strikeouts, including all three outs in the second.
- After the brilliant outing from McGregor, the bullpen turned to Kyler Stout for the ninth, where the junior struck out the side to pick up his fourth save of the year. He is now tied for The Summit League lead in saves and has a 0.60 ERA.
- Snypes and Cummings tallied two hits for the Golden Eagles' offense with Snypes continuing his team-leading hitting streak that has now reached 16 games after a single in the first frame.
- Matt Whatley drew his team-leading 22nd walk of the year as the junior entered the weekend ranked 27th in the nation in walks. The free pass also extended his streak of reaching base safely to all 25 games in 2017.
The Golden Eagles make the push for a double-digit win streak as the series with the Leathernecks continues Saturday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m. with live video, audio and stats available at www.ORUAthletics.com.