(3) OU holds on for a 49-41 win at Baylor
No. 3 Oklahoma won its Big 12 opener with a 49-41 victory at Baylor Saturday night.
A school-record 99-yard touchdown run by Abdul Adams late in the first quarter gave the Sooners a 21-7 lead after 15 minutes. Baylor responded, however, scoring 24 of the game's next 31 points to tak a 31-28 lead late in the third quarter.
The Bears' lead lasted just 55 seconds, however, as Baker Mayfield connected with Jeff Badet on a 48-yard touchdown pass to give the lead back to Oklahoma for good.
Trey Sermon put the game out of reach from the Bears with a pair of fourth-quarter touchdowns. First, Sermon scored on a 34-yard run to put OU up 42-31 with 10:31 remaining. On Oklahoma's next drive, he set himself up with a 60-yard scamper before scoring from nine yards out to extend the lead to 49-31.
Baylor made it interesting by scoring the next 10 points to cut the lead to 49-41, then recovered an onside kick with under two minutes remaining before the Sooner defense forced a fumble to seal it.
• Abdul Adams' 99-yard touchdown run in the first quarter was the longest play from scrimmage in school history, breaking the previous record of 96 yards (Jeff Frazier run in 1995; Buck McPhail run in 1951). He also became just the 11th player in NCAA history with a 99-yard rush (last was by Louisiana Tech's Kenneth Dixon in 2014).
• Mayfield threw a TD pass for the 30th straight game, extending his own school record. He's thrown at least two TD passes in 17 consecutive games, tying Sam Bradford's Big 12 record.
• Dimitri Flowers recorded his first career multi-touchdown game with a 52-yard reception and a three-yard run. He has scored three of OU's last five TDs in Waco.
• Jeff Badet became the 10th Sooner to record a touchdown catch this season with his 48-yard reception in the third quarter.