Kid-Friendly Chicken Enchiladas with Black Beans and Corn
From the American Heart Association...
Serves 4 | 485 Calories | 499 mg Sodium | $2.36 Per Serving
• 1 lb. chicken breasts, sautéed and cooled
• 15.5 oz. canned, low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
• 10 oz. packaged, frozen whole kerne corn, thawed OR
• 15 1/4 oz. canned, no-salt-added or low-sodium corn, drained, rinsed
• 3 tsp. salt-free mild chili powder, divided use
• 12 taco sized whole wheat or corn tortillas
• 12 toothpicks
• 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added or lower-sodium tomato, puree
• 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. In a large bowl, add the cooled chicken. Let kids shred the chicken with their fingers. Then, have them add black beans, corn, and 1 teaspoon chili powder to bowl with chicken and let kids mix together with spoon.
3. Wrap 12 tortillas in 2 to 3 damp paper towels and heat in microwave until warm, about 1 to 1½ minutes.
4. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. On a cutting board, place 1 warm tortilla and have kids add about 1½ spoonfuls of mixture in a line down the middle of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up and use a toothpick to hold together. Place in the baking dish. Repeat with other tortillas. Any extra meat mixture leftover can be poured on top of rolled tortillas.
5. In a small bowl, have kids mix 2 teaspoons chili powder, tomato purée, and sour cream. Have them stir mixture and then pour on top of rolled tortillas. Bake in oven until warmed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Cooking Tips: For a quicker meal, 2 cups shredded chicken from half of a rotisserie chicken or 2 (10 oz.) cans salt-free white meat chicken (drained) can be used instead of the chicken breasts.
Keep it Healthy: Make sure the chili blend is salt-free; also, since blends vary from brand to brand, taste it to check how mild it is before using.
Tips: Warming the corn tortillas in the microwave before rolling into enchiladas is a necessary step—the warmed tortillas bend nicely. Cold corn tortillas break very easily, which makes rolling into enchiladas not a success.
Nutritional Analysis Per serving
Calories Per Serving 485
Total Fat 4.5 g
Saturated Fat 1.0 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.0 g
Cholesterol 78 mg
Sodium 499 mg
Carbohydrates 81 g
Fiber 12 g
Sugars 13 g