Regional Workforce Analysis Project

The T-town economy was under the microscope for six months, as a study picked apart the workings of how Tulsa works.

"What was really interesting is something that we have known for a long time is that most people don't necessarily work in their neighborhood," said Monroe Nichols of Impact!Tulsa.

For example, in East Tulsa only 19% of the employed residents actually work in the neighborhood. The remaining 81% commute elsewhere for their job. Which raises the question...

"So if they're already living there, why not work there?" said Denise Reid of the Tulsa Regional Chamber.

Finding local employment could help ease the burden many people face in simply being able to get to work.

"And when you talk about our public transportation system it's already burdened. So how can we actually create better alignment with our talent and our people and our jobs?" she asked.

Another study finding is that Tulsa could do better in educating our youth for local industries.

"Do we have the programs that feed the industries that are really creating jobs in our community?," said Nichols.

Tulsa high schools for example, could help kids soar with programs in the field of aerospace.

"They may have programs, it's just that you can't find them by doing a search online so that's an opportunity for us to make some changes," said Reid.

Keeping Green Country moving in the right direction by unlocking the doors to local talent.

"Lot of great minds in Tulsa to figure out the best way forward," said Nichols.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off