Officers testify Shelby was visibly shaken, crying after Crutcher shooting

Betty Shelby was charged with first-degree manslaughter in the shooting death of Terence Crutcher in September 2016. (KTUL)

A panel of 12 jurors heard from six witnesses Wednesday in the manslaughter case against Officer Betty Shelby.

Court adjourned just before 5:30 p.m. on the third day of Shelby's trial, the first day of testimony.

Officer Tyler Turnbough, the second officer on scene the evening Shelby shot and killed Terence Crutcher, testified about arriving on the scene after Shelby had already drawn her gun. He described it as a scary situation.

Turnbough said he drew his Taser to offer up a less lethal option of force. He said he saw Crutcher reach his left hand into the window of his Lincoln Navigator, which prompted him to deploy his Taser at the exact moment Shelby fired her gun.

Turnbough testified that he made a mental note that his Taser was particularly loud but later realized it was Shelby’s gunshot that he heard.

Turnbough said Crutcher never said a word before or after the shooting but that Shelby was visibly shaken.

Next on the stand was Officer Jason Roy, one of two officers who arrived next to provide backing for Shelby. He said he heard the gunshot and drew his weapon, later clearing Crutcher's SUV. He found no weapons inside.

Roy said Shelby was crying after the shooting and he told her it would be OK.

Officer Saundra Dunn, the fourth officer to respond, testified that she administered first aid to Crutcher about two minutes after the shooting.

Officer Michael Richard, the helicopter pilot heard on police video saying "This looks like a bad dude" and "I think it's time for a Taser" testified that he saw Shelby later that evening and she said, "I can't believe he made me do it."

Police chief: Terence Crutcher was unarmed when shot by officer

Judge Doug Drummond allowed police dash camera and helicopter video to be played for the jury once but would not allow prosecutors' request to play it again.

Officer Dean Montgomery, who was assigned to assist Shelby after the shooting, testified that she told him "Why wouldn't he listen? Why wouldn't he follow my commands?"

Final testimony Wednesday came from Lacy Lansdown who took the first incident report.

Shelby is charged with first-degree manslaughter in the heat of passion. Prosecutors are arguing that Shelby overreacted when she shot Crutcher.

During opening statements, Assistant District Attorney Kevin Grey recounted the events of the Sept. 16, 2016 shooting. Shelby, who had just finished dinner at a nearby police substation, was responding to a domestic disturbance call when she discovered Crutcher’s abandoned SUV.

“It was just a couple of minutes,” Grey told the jury.

Grey said the jury would “see what it looks like from a police officer’s perspective,” referring to the dashboard and helicopter cameras. He referenced Shelby’s husband, Dave, who was in the police chopper above, asking “Betty Jo, where are you?” and saying, “It’s Taser time.”

Grey implied Shelby received special treatment by the Tulsa Police Department when she was allowed to view all police video before making a statement to detectives days after the shooting.

The defense is arguing that District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler rushed to judgment in the days after the shooting and charged Shelby out of fear. Attorney Shannon McMurray opened by accusing Kunzweiler of not following proper protocol before charging Shelby with first-degree manslaughter.

McMurray told the jury Shelby followed her training exactly on that day, commanding Crutcher to “Stop, stop, stop. Get on the ground.” The defense attorney said Shelby “gave him every opportunity to comply, the evidence will show you.”

“This was a rush to file charges,” said McMurray. “And when you look at the whole picture, all the evidence will show this.”

Read more on the Terence Crutcher shooting death.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off