Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes ofwebsite accessibilityNational Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week; tips for families to stay safe | KTUL
Close Alert

National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week; tips for families to stay safe

Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon

Carbon monoxide is a dangerous threat to American families and SAFE Kids Tulsa Area, in collaboration with The Children's Hospital at Saint Francis, wants families to stay safe.

Carbon monoxide causes 400 deaths and 21,000 hospitalizations every year due to unintentional poisonings. Young children are at an even higher risk, with a quarter of all CO-related calls in 2015 being for children, according to the press release.

To raise awareness and encourage families to be prepared, SAFE Kids Tulsa Area joins SAFE Kids Worldwide, Kidde, the National Association of State Fire Marshalls and other experts for National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week from Nov. 5 to Nov. 12.

"There's a reason carbon monoxide is called the 'invisible killer,' and we want to make sure parents understand the risks," said Beth Washington, SAFE Kids Tulsa Area coordinator. "With the winter months approaching, now's the perfect time to make sure your carbon monoxide alarms are all working so you can sleep peacefully at night."

Here are some simple tips and tools for families:

  • Make sure there's a working CO alarm on every level of your house and near every bedroom. Test them every month to make sure they're working properly, and replace them according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  • If you need to turn on your vehicle to warm it up, make sure to take it out of the garage right away. Even if the door is open, don't leave it sitting in the garage while the engine's running.
  • Check the vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace outside your home to make sure they're clear of any snow or other debris
  • If the CO alarm sounds, leave the house immediately. Call 911 or the fire department after you are in a location with fresh air. Remain outside or by an open window until emergency personnel arrives.

For more information about National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, contact Beth Washington at (918) 494-8256.

Loading ...