Police release dashcam video of officer-involved shooting of man with ax

Jerry Brimer was shot and killed July 18 by Tulsa police, who say Brimer lunged at them with an ax. This picture is a screenshot from dashcam video that shows officers checking Brimer's pulse and administering CPR. (Tulsa Police Department)

DISCLAIMER: Some language in the attached videos is strong and may be offensive to some.

TULSA, Okla. (KTUL) -- Tulsa police have released hours-worth of dashcam videos from a deadly officer-involved shooting last month.

On July 18, Jerry Brimer was shot and killed near West 43rd Street and South 25th West Avenue when officers responded to a report of a domestic situation.

Brimer's wife called 911, telling dispatchers her husband was armed and threatening her.

Upon arrival, police say they found a woman sitting in a car at the end of a culdesac and a man outside with an ax.

After officers repeatedly tell Brimer to drop his weapons, four gunshots are heard on one of the videos, but the shooting occurs off camera.

In another video, an officer inside a patrol car says the suspect lunged at officers with the ax and both officers fired.

Officers Richard Urban, 29, and Jerod Lum, 31, were placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

In that same video, the unidentified officer says both Urban and Lum were shaken up after the shooting but otherwise OK.

Police say Brimer made threats to his wife's life prior to the shooting.

In another dashcam video, Brimer's wife tells police her husband was drunk, swinging an ax and a hammer, telling officers to shoot him.

"It wasn't the officers' fault," she said. "This was his dumb mistake. They were just trying to protect me and themselves."

The woman cries throughout her interview, asking why they won't cover Brimer's body, which was still lying at the end of the culdesac. An officer tells her it's a crime scene and placing something over his body would alter the evidence.

Urban joined TPD in 2006, Lum in 2013. The investigation into the shooting has been turned over to the district attorney's office to determine if the shooting was justified.

This was the second shooting in as many days for Tulsa police. On July 17, officers responded to a report of a disturbance in north Tulsa where they found a man they say was armed with knives and a screwdriver.

After a stun gun failed to stop the man, identified as Michael Ramsey Jr., officers fired, mortally wounding the man.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off