TULSA, OKLA (KTUL) — We are continuing to follow the Channen Smith case we told you about earlier this week.
Smith is a Tulsa man who’s been in prison for almost 15 years for a murder he said he didn’t commit.
We told you court documents show that in 2017, the real killer confessed on his deathbed when he was dying of cancer that he shot and killed a man, and that Smith was innocent.
A federal judge is taking another look at this case that includes the confession. The Attorney General’s office was supposed to respond to the federal judge by Monday, May 5, but as of Friday afternoon, the AG’s Office submitted for a 60-day extension to further look at evidence. The extension was granted.
Now, the AG must respond with their findings by July 7, 2025, and then Smith will respond by August 22, 2025.
State Representative JJ Humphrey sent letters to AG Getner Drummond and Governor Kevin Stitt about Smith’s innocence, asking them to reopen his case,e saying in the letter, “When one considers the lack of evidence and also recognizes that it is very likely plea deals were made to obtain testimony, all of these factors suggest that the state would be wise to reopen the case and investigate the facts.”