TU Women drop first conference game, fall to Tulane at home


Four Tulsa players scored in double-figures, but it wasn’t enough as the Tulane Green Wave claimed a 72-63 victory Wednesday afternoon at the Donald W. Reynolds Center.

Tulsa fell to 7-8 overall and 1-1 in American Athletic Conference play, while the Green Wave improved to 9-6 and evened its league mark at 1-1.

Tulsa sophomores Alexis Gaulden and Shug Dickson shared the team-lead with 14 points, while freshman Rebecca Lescay totaled 13 and senior Erika Wakefield added 12 points. Tulane’s Kolby Morgan led all scorers with 30 points, shooting 67-percent from the field, and also had a game-high nine rebounds.

The Green Wave shot 53-percent for the game, while Tulsa connected on just 37-percent of its shots. Tulane’s field goal percentage and a season-high 22 Tulsa turnovers proved to be the difference in the game. Tulane went to the free throw line 20 more times than the Hurricane, converting 20-of-36 freebies, while Tulsa connected on 13 of just 16 free throws.

Tulsa held a 30-28 scoring lead in the paint, had a 25-to-18 edge in points off turnovers, a 14-4 advantage on fast-break points and the Hurricane bench out-scored Tulane’s reserves 34-8.

Tulane held a five-point lead, 50-44, after three quarters and increased it in the final period to the final nine-point margin. Wakefield’s layup made it a one-point game, 52-51, with 6:58 to play before the visitors went on a 9-2 run over the next 2:23 for a 62-53 lead at the 4:26 mark.

Tulsa got as close as three points, 64-61, when Dickson knocked down two free throws at the 1:31 mark. Tulane converted 8-of-12 free throws in the final 1:09 to hold on for the nine-point victory.

Tulsa’s Rebecca Lescay opened the second half by tying the score at 30-30 on a jumper less than a minute into the half, but the Green Wave connected on two three-pointers for a 36-30 lead at the 7:53 mark.

The Hurricane scored the next nine points for a 39-36 lead at the 5:39 mark on a two 2-point baskets by Wakefield, a trey by Gaulden and two free throws by Kendrian Elliott. The Green Wave closed out the third period on a 14-5 run in the final 5:02 for a 50-42 lead at the end of three quarters.

After Tulsa scored the game’s first basket, Tulane went on a 9-0 run for a 9-2 lead with 5:12 left on the first quarter clock and had a 14-5 lead before the Hurricane closed out the first period with the final four points.

The Green Wave shot 50 percent in the first quarter en route to a 14-10 lead, while the Hurricane managed only 29-percent shooting from the field.

Tulane had a six-point lead three times in the second quarter before the Hurricane whittled the lead down to one point and took its only lead of the first half at 24-23 on a Gaulden jumper with 4:24 remaining in the second quarter. Tulane went up by four points at the 1:49 mark before Dickson cut it to one-point, 29-28, on a three-pointer with 1:16 to play.

The Green Wave added a free throw in the final minute to take a 30-28 lead heading into halftime.

Tulsa will be back at the Reynolds Center this Saturday for a 2:00 p.m. game against the Cincinnati Bearcats.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off