From the American Heart Association...
186 mg Sodium
$3.32 Per Serving
1 lb. extra-lean, ground sirloin
1 chopped onion (about 1 cup)
2 clove garlic
1 tsp. garlic
1 15 - medium canned, no-salt-added, or, low-sodium tomato sauce
1 14 1/2 - oz. canned, chopped, no-salt-added, or, low-sodium tomatoes
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 16 - oz. packaged, frozen mixed vegetables (Any variety will do, so pick your family’s favorite mix!)
1/3 cup brown rice
1. In a large pot, cook the meat, onion, and garlic over medium heat until the meat is done. Drain excess liquid.
2. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, broth, mixed vegetables, and rice.
3. Cover the pot, allow the mixture to come to a boil, reduce heat, and cook 35 minutes or until rice is done.
• You can purchase garlic minced in a jar to keep in your refrigerator for quick use.
• When you have leftover vegetables, freeze in freezer zip-top bag to add to soups and pastas.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit www.heart.org/simplecooking.